Thursday, September 07, 2006

The first letter for Mason

Out of all the letters that had ever been sent to Mason, the first one she ever got, was the most remarkable one. She put that above all the others, even though it had been kept in the huge attic with all the other letters for six years, it was now where it belonged, in her minuscule kitchen, framed.

Everyday, as she was frying up bacon and toast, her cat stroking itself against her stilty legs, she would look over to that frame, looking at the nervous little handwriting spreading across the red paper. If she bent over a bit closer, perhaps when wiping her hands clean on her apron, she could read what it said. She had read it so many times, she nearly knew it by heart.

My Dad

First I want to apologize, -sorry dad, sorry I ran away and you looked everywhere for me. I'm sorry I was nowhere to be found. So sorry.
I know my life has always been a bit secluded from you. Even living in the same house as you for the better part of my life haven't really made us open up to each other. This is my last chance of showing my integrity and to be absolute and honest with you dad. And this time it is essential that you at least try to understand. Just try, please.

There is never a chance in the world you will ever accept what I have done or what I will do in my life. I'm telling you that you couldn't ever respect me or praise me, because I was never enough for you, I was never the daughter you wanted to have. I can't be someone I'm not. And I know I've tried, I've tried and tried, sometimes I catch myself in the middle of trying again, but I know for a fact that it is useless to even attempt. Because you are as a mountain.
You are as a mountain, your head so far up, my small words could never reach you, so far up, you could look down at everything I did and was, so far up, you were always in control, so far up the air was thinner and more important up where you were.

Well forget about that, I'm not looking for an apology, I just want a certain level of acceptance, after all, you are my father, and despite a lot of different things, I still love you.

There are exactly 11 years between Hector and me. Hector is now 28, and me, your daughter, is 17.
I think this is the part where the raised eyebrows come in, and you build that high wall of ignorance and disgrace around you. I can't get past that, and I'm prepared for that. Instead of attempting to get your blessing, I'd rather just tell you what my life is like right now.

I have never been better, never better, never ever in my life have I been better. Never better than right now, right here with Hector. I'm living in his flat in Lovlenton, I'll have my final grade exams done by next spring and I'll get a job through Hectors company. We are planning on having children dad, you'll be a grandpa.

Hector proposed in February, we had a small ceremony and got married in May.
I am now a wife, I'm a student, I'm a lover and one day I'll be a mother too. Know that dad, that no matter what happens, and even though you will never see me again,
I'll always be
Your devoted daughter
Ally.

No comments: