Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ambulophobia

I was lying in bed, today I had lots to do. First I was going to see the doctor again. Then I was going to go to a job interview for a job as a reseptionist at Winston Estates Ltd. Then I was going to the usual Anger Management Group, Monophobia Lessons, Alektorophobia Relief and then Russophobia - How to Avoid It. I was then around nine-ish going out to dinner with Xander.

Everything seemed to fill my mind so full, I couldn't think. The worst was what to wear, I mean, this was my first job interview in two years! I had been shopping yesterday, you know, the sophisticated - yet, elegant and educated, not preppy, just proper, but with a slight edge - outfit. And I didn't want to look repulsive either. After six hours I went to the cashier, handing in my two new outfits. Of course I needed one for the date with Xander as well.

But right now, as I was lying in bed looking at them hanging over a chair, I felt very unsatisfied. I couldn't wear that, I thought. Now wondering whatever I'd been thinking. Yes the blue dress for tonight was very pretty, but the cleavage was enormous! I would look like the biggest slag in West Newbury! Oh dear. The suit for the job interview was sober enough, and the shoes with the little heels made my legs just look a tad bit longer, they were perfect. But I hadn't prepared enough for that interview. The twentynine pages of notes I'd taken about Winston Estates Ltd. (including their entire website being memorized) just wouldn't do it, would it? After all, I had very little work experience, and I wouldn't manage to answer their questions. I'd probably have a seizure and die right there, in a leather chair, pouring starbucks all over my new suit.
ih, how horribly embarassing.

I had already overslept, I had to get up immediatly to get to the doctor in time before the interview, his office was way across town. Still I couldn't move. Everything inside me was shaking and squirming, I was completely immobilized.

I shook like a little leaf, sweating. Felt that suffocating emotion flow through me, quickly I reached for Phobias and where to Find them - by Claus T. Rophob and flipped through the pages quickly. I let my index-finger slowly flow down page after page ",,,Unable to walk, unable to walk" I repeated to myself.

"aha!" I let out, triumphantly "Ambulophobia, the absolute fear of walking" I read "Your fear of walking can result in the following symptoms:
breathlessness, dizziness, excessive sweating, nausea, dry mouth, feeling sick, shaking, heart palpitations, inability to speak or think clearly, a fear of becoming mad or losing control, a sensation of detachment from reality or a full blown anxiety attack.
" I continued. Let my book drop to my lap.
Fuck.

What kind of time is this to earn a new phobia?
I got a few calls during the day, from Winston Estates Ltd. saying they had been waiting for me and had now given the job to somebody else. Dr. Howard U. F. Eeling's secretary called, saying I missed my appointment and that they set a new one for next thursday at 8:30. Then my tutor from Russophobia - How to Avoid It just making sure I was okay and that I hadn't been eaten by a rabid Russian. Then Jenny Amkins called, saying she missed me when she was at Monophobia Lessons alone.
Finally, Xander called, saying he was bringing me chinese and a hot water bottle.

I then dragged myself along the floor to the computer with my arms and wrote this to you.
oh, the phone is ringing again.

//Frannie

No comments: